As one of the state’s largest contributors to jobs for Queenslanders, the resources sector is pleased to hear of the arrival of the five millionth Queensland resident.
The Queensland Resources Council has celebrated this momentous occasion with release of an informative short video outlining the sector’s key economic contributions to the state, including:
- $11,029 for every person living in Queensland in direct and indirect contribution to the State’s economy of $55.1 billion in 2016-17, including royalties;
- $11,240 for every person living in Queensland in export sales, with $56.2 billion in mining commodities accounting for almost 80% of the State’s merchandise good sales overseas in the last 12 months;
- one in every eight jobs in Queensland with 38,000 full-time equivalent directly employed with a total of 280,000 jobs supported across the State including 120,000 or 11% of the Brisbane workforce;
- globally Queensland is in the top five source for coking coal for steelmaking and manufacture (1st), lead (2nd), bauxite (3rd), zinc (3rd) and silver (5th), and is supporting Australia to become the world’s second largest LNG exporter;
- all resource sector operations are on a total of 0.1% of Queensland’s land area.